Probate Lawyer Los Angeles CA Explains Probate Litigation and Fees
There are times you cannot do without probate proceedings especially when an individual dies intestate. At such times, it becomes imperative to know the circumstances that can prompt you to reach out to Probate Lawyer Los Angeles CA and the fees associated with the process. All these will make the process easier.
In this article, you will have an overview of the fees payable in Los Angeles and the situations that might prompt you to reach out to probate lawyers for litigation.
Court proceedings and litigation may arise when there are disagreements between family members or beneficiaries over the assets left behind by a deceased. When it concerns probate proceedings in California, the process is guided by Code of Civil Procedure and Probate code in California. These legal instruments, which are properly known by Probate Lawyer Los Angeles CA, spell out what the duties and responsibilities of every party are.
In the light of the above, you should not hesitate to reach out to a professional if you observe all or any the following in the event of probate proceedings. (This is not the complete list):
- If you have reasons to suspect that a will has been tampered with;
- There are indications that the deceased was forced to write or sign a will;
- You have reasons to believe there are fraudulent practices in the estate;
- There are evidences that some assets that should otherwise be in the estate are in the custody of another person;
- The proper inventory has not been filed by an Executor;
- An Executor has not filed an accounting within a year from the start of probate;
- There are evidences to prove that certain assets need to be given back to someone, a trust or an estate;
- Beneficiaries, spouses or children of a deceased are contesting ownership of a deceased’s asset and
- Any of the parties involved such as trustee, executor, administrator, shirked responsibilities.
Probate Fees in California
When it comes to legal issues and proceedings, there are always associated fees and expenses and probate proceedings are not exceptions. Any financial involvement in the probate proceedings is referred to as expense while fees are determined based on the assets. Lawyers and administrators are paid certain equal fees which are calculated based on the size of the estate. According to the California Probate code, fees are 4% of the first $100,000, 3% of the next $100,000 and 2% of the next $800,000 and the court decides what the fees are once the amount is above one million dollars.
You should also note that there may be some other expenses to be catered for based on the situation of the estate. Such expenses may be needed to maintain the estate, settle bills and debts and Probate Lawyer Los Angeles CA will get you a clear picture of these and many more things you need to take note of when probate proceedings is what you have on hand in Los Angeles CA.